8.02.2011

LOCRIAN - THE CRYSTAL WORLD Album Review


I only just discovered LOCRIAN a couple of months ago and I can honestly say that their music, and this album in particular have blown me away. The duo of Andre Foisy and Terence Hannum are joined on this record by Steven Hess on percussion and electronics. The new addition has somehow created an even greater sound than before. The entire album with it's 53 minute bonus song 'Extinction' comes in at just under 2 hours and yet somehow I just couldn't get enough. The immense power of low end drone is incredible and when the sound shifts from some kind of post apocalyptic, dystopian noise into melodic keyboards and clean guitars it is absolutely breathtaking. The standout track for me is the title track, which takes it's name from a novel of the same name by J. G. Ballard about a forest slowly crystallizing. The band does a fantastic job at converting that imagery into music.
Anybody who is into drone / doom / sludge etc will definitely find this album a worthwhile addition to their collection. It is definitely one of my favorite albums, and probably my favorite release of 2010 and I have been listening to it almost daily for the past couple of months. I've just ordered it on vinyl and can't wait to see how it sounds.


01. Triumph of Elimination
02. At Night's End
03. The Crystal World
04. Pathogens
05. Obsidian Facades
06. Elevations and Depths

07. Extinction



No comments:

Post a Comment