6.21.2011

[REC] (2007) Review


Directed by: Jaume Balaguero, Paco Plaza
Starring: Manuela Velasco, Ferran Terraza, Jorge-Yamam Serrano, Pablo Rosso

After reviewing High Tension I thought I'd continue with the foreign language theme. This film hails from Spain and it is definitely a movie that every horror fan needs to see. 

The plot revolves around a young TV reporter Angela (Manuela Velasco) and her cameraman Pablo (Pablo Rosso) who are filming a documentary on the late night lives of firefighters. After filming in and around the fire station, the firefighters get a routine call about a woman stuck in her apartment. Angela and Pablo go along for the ride. But things take a turn for the worst when the rescuers are attacked by the woman who turns out to be a zombie. Before long the survivors are trapped inside the apartment building as the military have put it under quarantine. With no immediate means of escape, all they can do is try to survive.

Since I was never really a fan of found footage / handheld horror films, (I think the Blair Witch Project kinda killed it for me) I wasn't really expecting much from this. And after the first 5 or ten minutes I was certain that it was going to suck. But when the action finally starts, it doesn't end until the credits roll. The concept is simple, but rather than being your average zombie movie REC is a rollercoaster ride of fear, claustrophobia and chaos. And the final scene is terrifying.

An American remake by the name of Quarantine has been made which I haven't seen. But apparently it is pretty much a scene for scene remake. I can't imagine it being any better than this, and I really urge you to see this movie. REC 2 is also out and REC 3 is on the way.




No comments:

Post a Comment