6.24.2011

HALLOWEEN (2007) Review


Directed by: Rob Zombie
Starring: Scout-Taylor Compton, Tyler Mane, Malcolm McDowell, Daeg Faerch

Alright, here goes. It seems like I am one of the few people who actually like this movie. As far as remakes of films that don't need to be remade go, this is a hell of a lot better than most of the trash out there (ie The Wicker Man, Psycho, The House of Wax, and countless others). It is also a lot better than most of the shitty Halloween sequels which have been churned out over the years.

I'm pretty sure every horror fan has seen the original Halloween and therefore know the plot. There is not a lot of difference with the remake except for the fact that it focuses more on Michael's dysfunctional and disturbed childhood, how and why he started killing, and just how he transformed into a monster. This is the main reason that I think this is a good remake (not fantastic, but definitely not terrible), the fact that it brings a fresh element to the film. It doesn't try to change the story, but rather shift the focus and show a different aspect. Obviously the film does have it downsides. The second half is definitely the weaker, degenerating into a generic gore fest that doesn't really shock or surprise.

I know I'm at risk of receiving a bit of abuse for this positive review, but please don't bother because I couldn't care less. And as I've noticed, a lot of people with a negative attitude towards this remake are those who haven't even seen it yet. I can honestly say that if you haven't given a movie a chance, then your opinion counts for nothing. Feel free to give me your honest opinion, but ONLY if you've watched it. 

And one more piece of advice. Don't bother watching the sequel, it really did suck.




No comments:

Post a Comment